To show you the secret to the perfect veggie burger, I would tell you one single word – roast. There is no other cooking method to better enhance the flavor and get the most out of your veggies than roasting them.
As for the ingredients, here are the basic foods to have on hand when thinking about putting together a veggie burger:
– vegetables as base – beet roots, sweet potatoes, eggplants, mushrooms, corn, carrots, cauliflower, potatoes.
– grains, legumes, or cereals to give texture – rolled oats, millet, bulgur, sprouted wheat berries, lentils, chickpea, beans, quinoa.
– seeds or nuts to add more texture and nutritive value – sunflower, pumpkin, flax or chia seeds, hemp hearts, walnuts, hazelnuts.
– garlic, onion, and different spices (cumin, turmeric, curry, aromatic herbs) for flavor.
– eggs or egg substitutes for keeping all the above together.
The Ultimate Veggie Burger
For the Burgers
- 2 cups beet root, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup red quinoa (white is just as fine), cooked
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp wholemeal bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
For the Dressing
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ tsp pink Himalayan salt
For the Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in ¼-inch long slices, then ¼-wide inch strips
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 4 Wholemeal buns
- 1 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven at 175°C/357°F.
- Place the beet root cubes on a lined baking tin, rub with olive oil and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place the roasted beets in a food processor and pulse two or three times – you need some texture for the burgers, so make sure you don’t mash them completely.
- Transfer the beets into a large bowl, add all the other ingredients and stir to combine. If the texture is too mushy add more bread crumbs until you obtain the desired consistency.
- With slightly wet hands, shape the burgers and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes on one side, then flip over and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Place the sweet potato strips on a lined baking sheet, rub with olive oil, than sprinkle with cornmeal and toss to combine.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. They will be ready in the same time with the burgers.
- While the burgers are baking, prepare the dressing.Place all the ingredients in the food processor and process to obtain a creamy sauce.
- Assemble the burgers immediately after removing from the oven.
- Cut the bun in halves, spread bun bases with dressing, add the beet burger and sweet potato fries, top generously with avocado dressing, parsley and put on the bun top.
- Serve immediately